Fitting Instructions / Fixing Advice
When installing our high capacity gutters there is no requirement (with the exception of the small half rounds) to fix to falls. The majority of rainwater systems are fixed nominally level. All half round systems must be installed by external fascia brackets.
Fixing Support Centres
Aluminium Moulded Ogee gutters only 600mm – 750mm maximum; extra fixing points on either side of all fittings.
External/Internal Support Brackets
- Aluminium Half round gutters: brackets at 750mm centres; extra fixing brackets on either side of all fittings.
- Moulded Ogee gutters: brackets at 750mm centres; extra fixing brackets on either side of all fittings.
- Box gutters: brackets at 750mm centres; extra fixing brackets on either side of all fittings.
- Non-standard gutters: bracket centres dependant on girth and profile. Consult Stormguard Technical Services Department.
In locations where there is a probability of excessive snow loading both and external and internal support bracket should be installed.
Clean then dry all jointing areas with a low alkaline degreasing agent. Apply a generous bead of low modulus translucent silicone sealant, e.g. Arbo 1096, to BS EN ISO 11600:2003+A1:2011 or similar approved, to the internal base and sides of the gutter profile. Place the connecting collar in position and align with corresponding fixing bolt holes. Evenly tighten the nuts starting at the base of the gutter. The silicone will be compressed and displaced into the bolt holes and between the gutter and the connecting collar. Clean away excess silicone and repeat the same procedure on all joints and fittings.
All rainwater pipe sockets are of a light drive fit, apply a light bead of silicone to the internal aperture inside the socket prior to connection. This will provide a permanent flexible seal and prevent any leakage from capillary action.
Fixings and Fasteners
Use only aluminium and stainless steel fasteners for the installation of the following:
- Gutters: Direct and bracket fix use 12x40mm round head screws and washers.
- Gutter joint fixings: Use 6mm mushroom head bolts, nuts and washers.
- Pipe fixings: For fixing of eared pipe sockets and pipe brackets use either a 6mm expanding bolt or a 12x50mm round head screw and plug.
- Fascia/soffit fixings: Use 12×40 or 12x50mm round head screws and 6mm mushroom head bolts, nuts and washers, length to suit application. All fixings, fasteners, sealant and touch-up paint are available from Stormguard.